For many, hair is not just a physical attribute but a symbol of identity, confidence, and vitality. It frames our face, expresses our style, and carries with it personality. Hair loss can take a toll on your self-esteem and overall quality of life. If this is your experience, a hair loss doctor in College Park can help restore your confidence. They can perform proper diagnosis and offer effective treatment options. Here’s what you should know.
What Type of Doctor Should You See for Hair Loss?
If you’re experiencing hair loss, a dermatologist is typically the most appropriate healthcare professional to consult. Dermatologists specialize in diagnosis and treatment, and prevention of conditions that affect the skin, hair, and nails.
Hair loss can result from a variety of factors, including genetics, medical conditions, medications, and more. A dermatology specialist will conduct a thorough evaluation to determine the cause of your hair loss and recommend appropriate treatments. If there are underlying health issues contributing to the hair loss, they may refer you to an additional specialist for further evaluation and management.
How Does a Dermatologist Diagnose the Cause of Hair Loss?
A dermatologist will employ a combination of methods to diagnose the cause of your hair loss. The process involves a comprehensive health history review, physical examination, and, if necessary, additional tests.
During the physical examination, the dermatologist will closely inspect your scalp and hair. This is done to accurately assess the pattern and extent of hair loss. They may also examine your nails and skin for any related issues. A dermatoscope is a magnifying tool used for getting a closer look at the scalp.
Depending on their findings, your dermatologist may recommend blood tests, scalp biopsies, or other diagnostic procedures to pinpoint the underlying cause. This meticulous approach allows them to differentiate between various types of hair loss, such as pattern baldness, alopecia areata, telogen effluvium, or other conditions.
A tailored treatment plan will be created for you that is focused on the specific condition you have. This allows you to help you regain healthy hair as quickly as possible!
What Are Common Hair Loss Treatments a Hair Loss Doctor in College Park Might Suggest?
The treatment for hair loss can vary significantly based on the diagnosis. Common treatments prescribed by dermatologists include:
- Topical medications: Minoxidil is a topical medication that can promote hair growth. It is often recommended for androgenetic alopecia or pattern baldness.
- Oral medications: Finasteride is an oral medication that can be used to treat male pattern baldness. It works by inhibiting the action of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is linked to hair loss.
- Corticosteroids: For conditions like alopecia areata, corticosteroids can be injected into the scalp. This can reduce inflammation and stimulate hair growth.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy: PRP involves drawing a patient’s blood and processing it to concentrate the plasma. Then, once injected into the scalp, the plasma stimulates follicles.
- Hair transplant: In cases of significant hair loss, a hair transplant may be recommended. For example, follicular unit extraction (FUE) like NeoGraft or follicular unit transplantation (FUT).
- Lifestyle changes: Dermatologists may also advise lifestyle modifications, including dietary changes and stress management, as certain factors can contribute to hair loss.
It’s important to note that the effectiveness of treatments varies based on the type and cause of hair loss, as well as individual factors like scalp health.
Experience Hair Restoration Solutions That Work at Kindred Hair & Skin Center
Search no more for a hair loss doctor in College Park! The area’s top specialist is here at Kindred Hair & Skin Center! Call us today at 301-358-3304 to book your consultation. Also, ask about our current specials.