Like foundation shades that actually match your skin tone and sunscreens that don’t leave an unflattering white cast, laser hair removal was another one of those things that patients with dark skin tones couldn’t experience. Is that still true? If not, what is the best laser hair removal for dark skin in Bowie, MD? Here’s the scoop!
What Is Laser Hair Removal? How Does It Work for Dark Skin Tones?
Laser hair removal, or LHR, is a hair reduction treatment that uses a concentrated beam of light to heat up your hair follicles. This heat then damages or destroys the follicles for long-lasting results.
In the past, it worked by pinpointing the melanin in a person’s hair follicles. As you can imagine, this doesn’t exactly work for patients of color who have high levels of melanin in their skin – in fact, it was even dangerous.
Nowadays, there are “colorblind” lasers that work for all skin tones. They are able to differentiate between the melanin in your skin tone and the melanin in your follicles, strictly targeting the hair without damaging the surrounding skin.
Which Is the Best Laser System for Medium to Dark Skin Tones?
The best options for laser hair removal for dark skin in Bowie, MD are the diode and Nd:YAG lasers.
- Diode lasers are delivered in a slower, more controlled manner, giving your skin time to cool in between pulses. A built-in cooling system also assists with this.
- Nd: YAG lasers essentially bypass the pigment in your skin entirely to focus on the hair follicle only.
These two systems are designed to deliver effective LHR for patients with medium to dark skin tones without the risks that are most commonly seen in older lasers.
Hyperpigmentation, burning, blistering, and even scarring were risks with the original systems, but you can say goodbye to those!
What Should I Expect After Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a fantastic way to achieve longer-lasting hair reduction than waxing or shaving without the side effects that are associated with the alternatives, such as razor bumps, pain, and ingrown hairs.
Mild and temporary inflammation, swelling, and/or tenderness can occur immediately after a session.
If you choose a provider who is experienced with LHR, especially treatments for dark skin tones, then you’re guaranteed to have results you love in only six to 12 quick sessions. Even after your first appointment, you should notice significant hair reduction and delay in future growth.
Another benefit is that laser hair removal can be performed anywhere that hair grows, including the Brazilian and bikini areas, arms, legs, back, underarms, stomach, and face.
How Should I Care for My Skin After Each LHR Session?
If you really want to elevate your results and have your skin glowing, these aftercare tips can make a difference:
- Avoid UV exposure, and wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher whenever you leave the house, whether it’s sunny or otherwise.
- Do not wax or pluck the hairs in between appointments, but you should shave before each visit.
- If needed, apply an approved ointment or cream to soothe the treated area.
- Keep the area clean with gentle, unscented soap, and avoid scrubbing or using hot water.
- Temporarily stop using deodorants, body scrubs, and scented products.
Experience the Best Laser Hair Removal for Dark Skin in Bowie, MD at Visage Dermatology and Aesthetic Center in Nearby Largo!
Our team specializes in safe and effective treatments for skin of color, including laser hair removal! It’s easier than ever before to achieve smooth, hairless skin without long-lasting side effects or complications. Book your consultation today by calling 301-358-3304!